All bloggers have to start somewhere… I decided to start with one of my favorite dessert recipes.
There is nothing healthy about it, but it is DELICIOUS! This has become a favorite in our household. I have also made variations using coconut cake with pineapple ice cream topping and vanilla cake with strawberry ice cream topping. If you try these variations, substitute with a clear soda instead of the cola.
Chocolate Flan Cake
- 1 box Devil’s Food Cake Mix
- 1-1/3 cup Cola-type Soda
- 12 oz. can Evaporated Milk
- 14 oz. can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Tbls. Vanilla Extract
- 1 jar (about 12.5 oz) Smucker’s Hot Caramel or regular Smucker’s Caramel ice cream topping (do not substitute – not all caramel brands are created equal)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Make devil’s food cake mix according to directions on box, substituting cola for water. Put batter aside.
- Combine evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, eggs, and vanilla; mix with mixer for 2-3 min. Set aside.
- Spray the Bundt pan with cooking spray. Pour caramel sauce into bottom of pan; then pour cake batter in on top of caramel. Pour the flan mixture on top of cake batter, but try to pour it around the outside edge. Nellie’s notes: “I know it sounds weird and it will disappear into the cake…but that’s how you do it.”
- Water Bath: Get a pan that the Bundt pan will fit in (I use a deep dish glass pie pan). Fill pan with water, then set Bundt pan in water and place in oven. Cook at 325 degrees for about 1 hour. Start checking at 45 min.
- You must cool this cake in the refrigerator. Yep, clear a shelf and put the cake in the frig to cool…for 4-5 hours. 45 min. before serving, remove cake from refrigerator and let stand at room temp. When ready to serve, place a large plate or serving tray on top of Bundt pan and flip over. This cake is very messy because the caramel drips down when you turn it.